home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 25 / Cream of the Crop 25.iso / bbs / forum503.zip / FORUM.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1997-03-15  |  2KB  |  43 lines

1. A brief history! BBS FORUM has been around since 1987 in one form or another.
  2. From 1990-1994 it has grown quite a bit both in size and in popluarlty. Late
  3. in 1993, bugs started creeping into the door. The more "features" I added,
  4. the more bugs seemed to creep in. Unable to trace them all down (there were
  5. many valid bugs that only appeared under certain conditions) I ERASED all the
  6. old code and started fresh. Here is the first release of the door rewritten.
  8. For those of you who are familiar with the old forum, you'll be surprised
  9. at the many improvements I've made.
  11. If your registartion code doe not work with this version, drop me a note.
  13. SETTING IT ALL UP
  14. =================
  15. Sorry. Delete the old forum program and data entirely if you've been running
  16. the old version.
  18. If you have never set up a CARLTON GENERATION III Door, run MAKENODE.EXE and
  19. set up each of your nodes. Local nodes, use COM 1: Single node BBS's set up
  20. COM 1: Once you run MAKENODE.EXE for one CGIII Door, it will create a file
  21. to run ALL the CGIII doors. This saves you from having to set up every node
  22. every time you add a CGIII door to your BBS.
  24. THE .CFG FILE
  25. =============
  26. Whether you run one node or 99, you only need *1* .CFG file, called FORUM.CFG
  27. It's a four-liner in straight ASCII.
  29. Line 1: BBS NAME                        (Ex: SOME PLACE ELSE BBS)
  30. Line 2: SYSOP NAME                      (Ex: THE CARLTONS)
  31. Line 3: Path To MAKDENODE Datafile      (Ex: C:\BBS\CARLTON.INF)
  32. Line 4: Registration Code               (Ex: 0000000000)
  34. Note: Line 3 will ALWAYS end with CARLTON.INF
  37. CREATING THE FILES
  38. ==================
  39. From the command line, just type FORUM. It'll start the door in local mode
  40. and sign in the name used on line 2 of the .CFG file. Select option "~" to
  41. create the needed files. Any time the peson named in line 2 enters the door,
  42. the "~" option will be available. It is NOT available to any other caller.